Friday, October 31, 2008

Holding It Together

Anyone Can Give Up-
It's the easiest thing to do.
But to hold it together

When everyone would understand if you fell apart

Now that's true strength.



This quote means a lot to me because I am often asked how I keep going. I am a survivor-I have learned that addiction is not my fault and I make sure to find time everyday to take care of myself. Somewhere along this journey I found an inner strength that helps me to prevail no matter what comes my way. Now I am not superwoman and there are times that I break down-the difference is I allow myself a short time to feel bad and even sorry for myself -and then pick myself up and find the solution with my head held high and shoulders square-because what does not kill me makes me stronger!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes what does not kill us can actually make us insane! [But I admire your fortitude and determination to have such a positive outlook on it!]

There are people who get into patterns of post traumatic stress and carry it around so long that their perceived "strength" is really a stone cold facade [fragile, really, at just the slightest crack!]

So yes...knowing that we CAN fall apart...oh boy! Isn't that a comfort?

When I went into Al-Anon and learned that sometimes things need to fall completely apart before they can be rebuilt...it, too, was such a comfort. You know?

It's an important message you share to others: That YES...we can break down. And if anyone doubts it, ask them , "What's the worst that can happen?" It's never as bad as the codependent mind awfulizes.

Thanks for sharing!
Samsara

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing your blog. It's very inspiring and look forward to continued reading.

getitwritehere.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Julissa
www.hairweavingbasics.com

Anonymous said...

I can truly sympathize and understand your struggle. I am married to an addict myself. After 6 months of supporting him in his recovery though, I finally started looking for some of my own. I went to a few Al-Anon meetings but found it wasn't enough. Now, I am an active member of Narcotics Anonymous and glad to finally be focusing on me and not him! I lot of my friends didn't understand when I joined NA. They all knew he was the problem. I had to admit though, I had a whole bag full of my own that I'd been stuffing for years. I was too busy dealing with his addiction to let mine get out of control!

In the beginning though, when my friends found out that my husband needed to go to NA, they would tell me how strong I was and what a good heart I have for sticking by him. It brought tears to my eyes everytime! It's hard to swallow when someone recognizes you for what you put up with - I know! Thanks for sharing!